Monday, February 26, 2007

The rain can't stop us

Goodness gracious, I don’t even know how to begin!! This past weekend was such an exciting adventure. Two of my friends and I traveled up to Amsterdam for the weekend. We traveled Friday night, and arrived on Saturday morning, where we were taken to our hotel….which was actually a BOTEL!! a boat hotel! It was pretty funny. After we checked in, we found a cute café where we grabbed some breakfast before heading over to the Anne Frank House. I still cannot believe that I saw where Anne and her family hid for 2 years during WWII. They have left so much of the house in its original form and it was so cool to see Anne’s bedroom, and all the original pictures that she had put on the walls to cheer herself up. They also had Anne’s original diary. Museums are always nice to visit, but going to the actual place where history took place is so unforgettable and incredible.
After visiting the house, we ventured over to the Heineken “Experience.” We did realize that it was only noon when we arrived, but we wanted to beat the crowds of tourists. The Heineken Experience is more like a theme park. There is so much going on and it’s so entertaining! We got to see how the beer came about and how it is made, and then we went on a little “ride” that showed us what it was like to be a Heineken beer bottle. Then they have an area where you can make a music video and send it to whomever you want, and you can also send video messages to people as well. In another room, you get to see what it’s like to be a DJ. After that, there is a room where you can watch all the commercials and advertisements that Heineken has ever made. And then one of the last things that we did was ride on a carriage and see what it was like to deliver Heineken boxes. (virtual of course, but still so much fun!!) At the end they give you a free Heineken and a free bottle opener! It was a pretty great deal.
On Sunday, we woke up and went on an excursion to a Fromagerie where we got to see how the Dutch make cheese AND how they make clogs! It was the coolest thing ever! And we got to taste all the cheeses too! I myself could not resist and bought a pair of clogs and they are quite comfortable believe it or not. After the Fromagerie and a little souvernir stop shop in Holland, we returned to Amsterdam and went to the Torture Museum. This place has all the ways the people were executed in history. All of them looked so very painful. If you have the chance and the access, you should take a look at my photos on Facebook. They have some good examples of what I mean.
I absolutely loved Amsterdam and all of the museums that it has! I wish we could have been there longer and gotten to see the Van Gogh museum and some of the others, but the trip was well worth it, and I think that everyone should visit atleast once in their lifetime if for nothing else to see Anne Frank’s hideout.

No comments: